PHOENIX (KSAZ) - Food photographer and blogger Joanie Simon shared her Black Eyed Pea Soup recipe for New Year's Eve. (12-31-15)
Black-Eyed Pea Soup
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Serves: 8 servings
Black-eyed peas with Andouille Sausage for a comforting winter soup.
* 16 ounces black eyed peas, dried
* 1 yellow onion chopped
* 12 ounces chopped carrots
* 2 tsp Better Than Bouillon Chicken
* 1/4 tsp caraway seeds
* 2 tsp garlic powder
* 1 tsp Lawry's seasoned salt
* 1 Tbs Sriracha
* 1 tsp paprika
* 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
* 1 Tbs oil
* 8 cups water
* 12 ounces chopped Andouille sausage
* 3 cups chopped collard greens
1. Put dried black-eyed peas in a container and cover in water, 1 inch higher than the beans and allow to soak overnight.
2. The next day, drain the beans, rinse and place in the pot of an electric pressure cooker. Add in chopped onion, chopped carrots, bouillon, caraway, garlic powder, seasoned salt, Sriracha, paprika, balsamic vinegar, oil and water. Set pressure cooker at 6 minutes on high and allow to cook.
3. Once the 6 minutes is up on the cooker, release the pressure and add in the sausage and collard greens. Cover the pot again and pressure cook for 2 minutes on high.
4. Once cooking is completed, keep on warm until ready to serve. Add more salt to taste.
5. Serve with chopped scallions.