The boy was playing in front of his home when the bees swarmed.
The baby boy remained in the hospital's intensive care unit, 20 of the stings were on his head.
The boys mother is grateful she dressed him in a long sleeve shirt and pants because it could have been worse.
18-month-old Jay Andrew survived a frightening attack and is now being treated at Phoenix Children's Hospital.
His mother says Jay isn't allergic to bee stings, but he is in a lot of pain.
"He finally sat up on his own this morning, and they allowed him to eat a little bit," said Adrianne Salazar, his mother.
She says the baby was playing in the front yeard with his 5-year-old brother. Their dad was working on a boat in the driveway.
But just a few feet away hundreds of bees had created a hive in an irrigation box.
Suddenly the boy's father heard a commotion.
"He just heard Jay Andrew crying, when he ran over there he could see him standing there with his arms up saying "dada," and when he ran up he was just swarmed with bees...
he went to the neighbors house and grabbed the water hose and just started spraying him off, trying to get the bees off of him," she said.
The father called 9-1-1 and paramedics rushed Jay Andrew to the hospital. Fire crews then sprayed the hive with foam to kill the bees. But now dozens of bees are back.
The family is concerned because the beehive is still out in the open, they're hoping the HOA will do something to get that removed, so no one else here gets stung.
"That infuriates me more that it is still here, and they haven't contacted anyone yet to get out there," said Adrianne.
The hive is located in a greenbelt between homes, Salazar feels for the safety of her kids and others in the neighborhood.
"There's nothing worse in the world than seeing your child just motionless, can't do anything because they're so scared," she said.
Firefighters say they have noticed bee activity has started earlier this year, probably because of the warm weather.
They say they usually see a spike in bee calls starting in April.