Family of 4 safe after Scottsdale home catches fire

A fire woke up one Scottsdale neighborhood, and left one family without a home.

Flames burst out of a Scottsdale home while the family of four was asleep inside.

Scottsdale Fire Battalion Chief Chris Schibi says the family dog woke the family up and got them out before fire crews arrived.

"They had two young kids in there that were able to get safely out okay as well," said Bat. Chief Chris Schibi.

Everyone including the dog got out safe, but as for the home, Schibi says it is likely a complete loss.

"It's a great neighborhood; I'm shocked," said realtor Sylvia McDowell.

McDowell showed the home to some clients a while back.

"It's a beautiful home, the backyard is gorgeous, but we couldn't put it together, thank God my clients did not buy it, obviously if it was on fire," she said.

Schibi said the fire started in the attic and spread to the family room where they were able to stop it from spreading.

"The house is going to have to undergo some major renovations before it's livable again; the roof did burn through in some areas," said Schibi.

An eerie and all too familiar sight to neighbor Chris Routh, his house caught fire a few years back.

"It's kind of like your whole life is erased," said Routh.

He has some advice for his neighbors who are now going through the same thing.

"Take one day at a time, and not let everything overwhelm you because it can be a very overwhelming experience," he said.

And though the dog was the alarm, in this case, firefighters continue to stress the importance of making sure your batteries work in your smoke detectors.

Scottsdale Fire officials say the fire is not suspicious, and investigators are still working to find out what started it.


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories