41-year-old James Koryer was sobbing as he made his initial court appearance.
Police say on Monday he went out to run errands with his wife. She was driving and during the trip Phoenix Police say he bought a bottle of Seagram's Gin and drank most of it.
They returned home, his wife stayed to work in the couple's office in their home, and James drove off with his two sons to get haircuts.
They came back, James went inside with one of the boys and told his wife the other one, 2-year-old Alpha was sleeping.
He then took a nap and woke up two hours later to learn his wife had discovered the boy unresponsive in the back seat of their Nissan Sentra.
Phoenix Fire rushed the boy to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.
This tragic death shocked the neighborhood. Tati Guerrero, a neighbor down the street, said (Alpha) was a kid who needed to grow, to have kids, to have a job and a life, and to cut it short like that, she did not like it.
The Koryor family had no comment.
"No, we are okay," said a man.
A man drove them away and only said they were okay.Investigators don't believe any of the other family members at the home had anything to do with what happened.