The verdict received Thursday marks the first verdict of its kind nationwide over the defective toy.
The jury awarded $435,000 to Mark and Beth Monje after a lengthy legal fight over a toy craft kit known as Aqua Dots. Children use Aqua Dots to create designs by spraying beads with water.
The product was the subject of an extensive recall in 2007 after least nine children in the U.S. and three in Australia became sick after swallowing the beads.
Monje's toddler son swallowed some of the beads in July 2007, resulting in what his attorney says is permanent brain damage.