SAN SIMON, Ariz. (AP) — A 60-mile stretch of Interstate 10 in southeastern Arizona and southwestern New Mexico has had to be closed again because of blowing dust from a farm field.
Arizona Department of Transportation officials say Monday afternoon's closure may last until the evening until winds settle down.
It's the second such closure in two days for that same stretch of I-10 and at least the sixth since late last month.
The closure runs from just east of Willcox, Arizona, to Lordsburg, New Mexico.
Traffic is being detoured 110 miles through Safford, Arizona, on U.S. 191 and U.S. 70.
The blowing dust is coming off a field near San Simon, Arizona.
State officials say they're working with the owner of recently cleared farm land to water it down and reduce the airborne dust.
• Immediately check traffic around your vehicle (front, back and to the side) and begin slowing down.
• Completely exit the highway if you can.
• Don’t wait until poor visibility makes it difficult to safely pull off the roadway.
• Don’t stop in a travel lane or in the emergency lane.
• Turn off all vehicle lights, including your emergency flashers. You do not want other vehicles approaching from behind to use your lights as a guide, possibly crashing into your parked vehicle.
• Set your emergency brake and take your foot off the brake.
• Stay in the vehicle with your seatbelts buckled and wait for the storm to pass.
Inside the dust. pic.twitter.com/I5gzN48Xti— Kameron Lee, PIO (@dps_pio_lee) May 16, 2016
Current look at I-10 MP 376. Troopers are clearing out the last remaining traffic. Hard Closure at 352 and Lordsburg pic.twitter.com/LLDNI2HxWs— Kameron Lee, PIO (@dps_pio_lee) May 16, 2016
Just to clarify, the interstate is still closed. Troopers are clearing out vehicles between the MP 352 exit and the blowing dust area.— Kameron Lee, PIO (@dps_pio_lee) May 16, 2016
@Arizona_DPS Troopers have had to once again shut down I10 at MP 376 in both directions. Detour is US191 to Safford, then US70 to Lordsburg.— Kameron Lee, PIO (@dps_pio_lee) May 16, 2016