MESA, Ariz. (FOX 10) - Firefighters say an 11-year-old girl was hospitalized after she and 14 other children ate an unknown substance from a "pixie stick" at Eisenhower Elementary School near 8th Street and Mesa Drive.
The school district notified parents of the children in question.
The Mesa Police Department says it is believed the candy came from another student and the victims' symptoms appear to be nausea and dizziness.
The candy was field tested by police and results were negative for drugs.
Mesa Public Schools statement
"This morning, a number of fifth-grade students at Eisenhower Center for Innovation reported feeling nauseated and dizzy after eating sugar-filled candy straws brought by a fellow student. As a precaution, the school contacted emergency services. Per the parent’s direction, one student was transported to the hospital for further evaluation. The rest were evaluated on site and released to their parents. Mesa Police tested the candy and told the district no trace of illegal or foreign substances was found."