NEAR PAYSON, Ariz. (KSAZ) - Evacuation orders have been issued for some residents north of Payson, as the Highline Fire continues to burn.
The fire, as of Thursday night, is burning eight to 10 miles north of Payson, and according to the Gila County Sheriff's Office, the areas of La Cienega and Ellison Creek Estates in the Ellison Creek drainage north of the Fire Control Road are affected by the order.
A Red Cross shelter has reportedly been established at the Payson High School, located at 301 S. McLane Road in Payson. An animal shelter has been opened at the Gila County Fairgrounds Event Center, at 900 E. Fairgrounds Road in Globe.
According to the Gila County Sheriff's Office, The Payson Horseman's Association is available to assist in moving livestock.
In a statement, Gila COunty Sheriff's Office are reminding those affected by the evacuation order to remember the so called "Five P's"
- People and Pets (as well as other livestock)
- Papers (important documents)
- Prescriptions (medications, eyeglasses, hearing aids, etc.)
- Pictures (and other irreplaceable memories)
- Personal computer (e.g., information on hard drives and disks)
Payson Horseman's Association