Phoenix LGBTQ youth center seeks donations following fire

- Firefighters say a fire at a Phoenix LGBTQ youth center appears to be the result of spontaneous combustion.

The Phoenix Fire Department says the fire broke out at the one-n-ten building near Third Street and Osborn Road on Wednesday.

Firefighters say one side of the building is vacant and the other side is occupied by one-n-ten and when they arrived at the scene, there was a fire moving quickly through the building.

Firefighters quickly controlled the spread of the fire and cut holes in the roof to ventilate smoke.

Firefighters believe the fire started as a result of the combination of improperly stored rags and batteries mixed with a hot unventilated room that may have led to spontaneous combustion.

No one was injured in the fire.

The one-n-ten organization works with Valley teens between the ages of 14 and 24 and is now accepting donations at the Parson's Center for Health and Wellness at Central and Portland.

The youth center says they lost a lot of items used to help teenagers, including food and personal hygiene products. They are now looking for a new location where they can reopen.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories