MARICOPA, Ariz. (KSAZ) - It's cooling down in Arizona, but bees are still a big problem. Over the weekend, six people in Maricopa ended up in the hospital after being attacked.
On Halloween night six people were stung in a bee attack in Maricopa; three adults and three kids were injured. One of the men was stung over 300 times, thankfully he was not allergic to bees and was released from the hospital.
The call came in at 5 p.m. Halloween night on this normally quiet street in the Rancho El Dorado Subdivision in Maricopa.
Firefighters say they were prepared for the swarm, Damien Pena of Maricopa Fire showed FOX 10 how they first responders wore tape around arms and legs to keep bees out, and a special bee veil up top.
"When the first engine company arrived on scene large amounts of bees were swarming around, several people were stung or being stung," said Larry Walker.
Firefighters sprayed foam to get rid of the bees and help the victims. Meanwhile, they did their best to keep neighbors from walking out into the swarm.
"Looked up the street, saw a monster big fire truck and flashing lights, police cars, an ambulance, and across the street the same thing. A police officer said to go back inside and close the door, and I never looked out again," said Ernie Gerrish.
About two hours later the firefighters found where all the bees came from.
The hive was inside of a water meter box, a dark and cool environment where bees go to.
Experts say if you see bees buzzing around, stay away. If you're ever attacked they recommend covering your face and getting out of the area, if you see a beehive, call a professional beekeeper.