Fire on Christmas Eve displaces valley family

-
It was a scary Christmas morning for one Valley family, who cannot spend their holiday at home because of a fire.
 
It was the first time that the family had used their fireplace all season, and unfortunately, firefighters say that may have contributed to the cause.
 
"My daughter came and knocked on our door, and told us there was a bunch of smoke, and as soon as we started coming down the hall all the fire alarms went off in the house, and we're trying to figure out where it came from," said Marissa Wrobleski.
 
For Christmas, the Wrobleski's got something they didn't ask for, a mess. Marissa says after the family game night they put the fire out with water and fell asleep, but around 1 a.m. they awoke to something very wrong.
 
"And it turns out that the fire had gotten below the fire place and started burning the sub-flooring, so it was burning underneath the house and we didn't know it until the fire department told us," said Marissa.
 
If it wasn't for her daughter, Marissa says she doesn't know what would have happened.
 
"I think she did, I think she saved all of our lives, she's 14, and she's my little hero," said Marissa.
 
Even though no one could have predicted what happened to the family, fire officials ask everyone to take precautions when building fires.
 
"We want to remind people to make sure you have them serviced professionally before you use these chimneys, because they sit there, they have a lot of soot, a lot of dust, a lot of dirt that sits there and accumulates, and all of that can catch fire," said Captain Ardell Deliz.
 
The good news is no one was injured in the fire. Marissa says the next step is to clean up and move forward.
 
Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories