Firefighter struck by bullet at Gilbert house fire

- A Gilbert firefighter escaped injury when live ammunition began discharging at a house fire on Sunday morning.  At least one person was taken to the hospital with burn injuries.

Fire crews say a fully involved garage fire was reported at a home near Warner and McQueen after about 10 a.m. on Sunday morning.  A spokesperson for Gilbert Fire Department says ammunition could be heard going off inside the home during the fire.  One of the bullets from the fire hit a Gilbert firefighter in the face; the firefighter was wearing a helmet, so fortunately, the first responder is expected to be okay.

As the flames spread to the house, crews were busy trying to protect the homes to the east and the west of the blaze.  Medics on-scene evaluated at least one man on-scene, and the person was being taken to a nearby burn center with injuries to his hand and face.

Investigators believe the fire may have been sparked when that man inside the home was loading ammunition into a weapon, leading to an explosion.  Witnesses say the home appears to be a total loss.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories