Charter school promises to revise hair policy, amidst controversy

- A mother whose son was asked to leave school because of his hairstyle met with school officials on Friday.

The 12-year-old boy had been wearing his hair in braids, and the mother enlisted ACLU's help to fight for her son. The school, Teleos Prep, originally said the hairstyle violated policy, but it is now welcoming the boy back.

Brittany Anderson went from a mother who was outraged and hurt, to a mother who demanded a change. On Friday, Anderson said she got just that.

"For all moms and all parents," said Anderson, who said school officials told her they would strike the policy banning braids, and welcome her son back to class.

It was Anderson's sons first year at Teleos Prep, and he had been wearing the braids all year. There were no issues, Anderson said, until picture day, when her son was told he couldn't return to school, until his hair was changed.

"Just the fact that my son was hurt was just, mainly, the only thing that hurt me the most," said Anderson.

On Friday, Anderson met with Great Hearts Superintendent Robert Wagner, as well as the organization's Vice President, David Denton.

"I don't think they really knew or expected what I as going to say, or what I had in mind," said Anderson.

What Anderson expressed was her frustration with what she calls the absurdity of the policy. The Superintendent, Anderson said, ultimately told her that he would strike the policy down.

"I feel like it was like a win, not just for me and my son, but for all kids who deicde to wear their hair how they wanna wear it, as long as its not a distraction to their learning," said Anderson.

Anderson has already enrolled her son at another school. As for the possibility of bringing her son back to Teleos, Anderson said:

"Nope. Still not sure. As of right now, that's a no."

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories