The hot temperatures are not only a danger to people, but to animals as well.
The community is outraged after someone left a dog out in the hot weather, on an apartment patio in Glendale.
Neighbors called for help, but the dog died before rescuers were able to get to it.
This is the kind of story that just rips your heart out.
A 1-year-old chocolate Labrador was left to roast in the sun, on a patio at the Northern Greens Apartments near 61st Avenue and Northern Avenue.
Earlier tonight we spoke to some neighbors who said they had previously reported the owners for neglect and now they want justice.
"I hope they face jail time over this,” said Rocky Buch. “To me this was murder... this was murder...this was murder."
Today Rocky Buch witnessed a loss of a young life.
"You could see the dogs paws were burning, because that apartment gets full west sun. There’s no shade, he was hopping around and he had no water."
It all started when she heard the cry of the 1-year-old chocolate lab left out on a small patio in the triple digit, record-breaking heat.
"I could see the distress it was in, so I ran back home and called the police," Buch said.
Rocky says there's been a history of this dog being ignored, but today was different.
"We've never seen the people walk this dog, the dog has always been kept outside on the patio and it barks all the time. I would too if I was left alone all the time."
Because of privacy laws, police couldn't knock down the apartment door.
And by the time firefighters reached the dog, it was too late.
"The officer was whistling and I was (kiss kiss kiss) trying to call and get it's attention and it was just motionless after that, but it didn’t have to happen. It didn’t have to happen; it was totally preventable."
Rocky says she will never forget what she witnessed, the small dog drawing its last breath as she called to it helplessly.
Now, she says she wants the owners to be charged.
“It was totally preventable and I hope these people are held to the fullest extent of the law and if there’s a way to prevent them from ever owning another pet again."
The Humane Society is doing a full autopsy to investigate the extent of the injuries.
A police officer told a neighbor that the owners could face a felony animal cruelty charge.