Family of 6 escapes overnight fire

- A valley family is speaking out after they survived a fire that ripped through their home, and they have a message for other people.

It sits like a crashed spaceship on a charred planet, in reality it's a smoke detector on a burned couch that used to sit on the Lechuga's family living room in Phoenix.

It also is part of the reason the family of six is alive and well.

"It was pretty scary, but we all made it out on time, and we're all ok," said Cristino Lechuga.

Early Tuesday morning, a cooler on the roof of the family's home malfunctioned.

"Our cooler caught fire, and it melted down and got into the roof, the attic, and the insulation," said Cristino.

It was around 1 a.m. when the fire started burning in the attic; it was the middle of the night, and the family of six was sound asleep.

"Thanks to our smoke detectors they went off, and we woke up and ran out of the house," said Cristino.

The family has a detector in every room because Cristino says the family puts safety first.

The damage to the home is extensive, and most of their belongings are wet or ruined. Though they have lost a lot in the fire, they haven't lost everything.

Basically, we're still standing here thanks to our smoke detector.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories