Firefighters: Carbon monoxide alarm saves Peoria family

- Firefighters say a carbon monoxide alarm saved the lives of a family in Peoria on Thursday night.

The Peoria Fire Department says a crew responded to a home near 87th Avenue and Cactus just after 10 p.m., when a family's carbon monoxide alarm was sounding.

Firefighters at the scene found high concentrations of carbon monoxide at the home and paramedics discovered that two children in the home were transported to a hospital in serious condition with high concentrations of carbon monoxide.

A work vehicle with a generator was parked in the driveway and the generator had been running throughout the day. While it was running, carbon monoxide vented into the garage and when the garage door was closed, the carbon monoxide became trapped inside the garage and vented into the home.

The children's bedrooms are above the garage, but fortunately, a carbon monoxide alarm installed in the home sounded and saved the lives of the family.

The two children are now in stable condition.

The Peoria Fire Department wants to remind everyone of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning:

Carbon Monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that is produced by the burning of fossil fuels. Without the proper equipment there is no way to detect its presence. CO is produced by cars, generators, engines, home heating appliances and any other device that burns fossil fuels.

Signs of CO poisoning include dizziness, nausea, headache, weakness, confusion and flu-like symptoms. A sudden onset of these symptoms may be a sign of CO poisoning. A sleeping person may not be aware of these symptoms and may succumb without waking up. CO poisoning can be fatal.

The Peoria Fire-Medical Department recommends that homes have at least one CO alarm on each level of a house. Test your CO alarms regularly and replace the batteries yearly, just like your smoke alarms. 

If you are feeling these symptoms and think you have been exposed to CO, get to fresh air, turn off any fuel burning appliances and dial 911.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories