AVONDALE, Ariz. (KSAZ) - Firefighters say hoarding made it much more difficult to extinguish a first-alarm house fire in Avondale on Friday morning.
The fire broke out at the home near Lower Buckeye and El Mirage Roads. Avondale Fire Department officials say the fire appeared to have started outside the house. The call came in at around 8:15 a.m. Friday.
"In the beginning, my son was screaming something blowing up," said homeowner Carolyn Ramirez. "Could be electric. You never know."
Firefighters say the conditions inside made for a dangerous situation. There was so much stuff everywhere that it was a serious challenge to beat back the fire.
"There's a lot of debris and possession piled in house," said Battalion Chief Aaron Glass with Avondale Fire Department. "Lots of fuel, potential for explosive fire conditions."
Five people lived in the house, but only two were home at the tome. One got out uninjured, but Ramirez said her son was burned.
"Dear Lord Jesus, let him be OK," said Ramirez. "Haven't heard anything yet. He got burned really bad. Took all the suffering."
Firefighters described the son's burn as serious, ans rushed him to Maricopa Integrated Health System's Burn Unit. Ramirez, meanwhile, is thanking everyone who responded to the fire.