PHOENIX (KSAZ) - An eight-year-old Phoenix girl remains hospitalized, after she was burned while standing next to the fire pit in her family's backyard over the weekend.
Isabella suffered third-degree burns to half of her body, and will have to undergo several surgeries. FOX 10's Nicole Garcia spoke with Isabella's mother at the burn center on Tuesday, where the mother said Isabella has a long road to recovery ahead of her.
Her mother, however, says she is strong, and she will get through it.
"It was supposed to be a little get together," said Lilly McCune. "we blocked the street off so they have a nice safe environment."
The family was getting ready for a neighborhood barbecue, but the fun quickly turned tragic, after the fiery explosion.
"Horrific accidents happen," said McCune. "This is a horrific accident."
Fire officials say Isabella and her father were standing next to the fire pit, when gasoline was poured into it to ignite a backyard bonfire. Isabella's dad was burned on his right harm and ankle, but Isabella suffered far worse injuries, with third-degree burns to 50% of her body.
Isabella has had two surgeries in the last four days, with another scheduled for tomorrow.
"Isabella is truly the strongest person I know. That's where I draw my strength from," said McCune. "She becomes aware during certain procedure,s and is able to give feedback if she needs pain medicine or a rest."
For the most part, Isabella remains in an induced medical coma. Family, neighbors, and people around the world have rallied around the family, raising more than $11,000 to help pay for the girl's medical expenses.
"We cannot say thank you enough for everyone who's keeping us in their thoughts and prayers. Please continue to do so. That's what we need right now," said McCune.
Isabella is expected to remain at the burn center for several weeks, and will undergo several skin-grafting operations.
GoFundMe page for Isabella's medical epenses