Gov. Ducey says public safety will come first, as Waymo expands operations

- Earlier in May, Waymo announced their driverless transportation service will be launching in Phoenix later this year. On Thursday, the company announced their fleet of self-driving minivans will be getting bigger.

"We are going to work with our Department of Public Safety," said Gov. Ducey. "We are going to work with our Department of Transportation to make certain that they are working closely, so that we got the proper oversight, that we are making sure that the Federal rules and regulations are being followed as well."

Gov. Ducey, who is known to be open to innovation, says public safety will always come first. 

"The whole idea behind the driverless technology and autonomous technology is that we are going to have safer roadways, and we will be working with our departments to make sure that happens," said Gov. Ducey.

However, after the deadly accident involving an Uber car in autonomous mode back in March, some folks remain cautious about driverless cars in general. 

"I'm skeptical, but it doesn't mean that I'm not open to it by any means," said a man, identified only as "Jared". "I think it's going to eventually happen one day, but, like a lot of things, I think it's moving too fast and it's not quite ready."

"I'm a little more cautious about it the I was before," said another man, identified only as "Casey". "Before, I would definitely say, 'yeah lets do that, let's pile in here'. Now I'm like, 'ehh, they need to be a little more careful about it'."

'I think there are some people that will never get inside of an autonomous vechicle. There are some people who just love to drive but I think it just gives a real option, especially think of the disable and the elderly and the blind that don't have the freedom to get around. I think it opens up a whole new world for them and for that I'm very supportive.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories