PHOENIX - A fire and gas leak led to evacuations in a south Phoenix neighborhood on Saturday morning.
Phoenix Fire crews say the fire broke out at an abandoned home on Saturday morning at about 4:00 a.m. near 6th Avenue and Southern. When fire crews arrived they found flames engulfing the home and threatening neighbors' houses nearby.
There are no reports of anyone trapped inside. Once firefighters knocked down the fire, they realized a power line had been fallen down into the yard, complicating the battle against the flames. A gas leak forced firefighters to back away, and neighbors on both sides of the fire had to be evacuated.
The gas leak and fallen electrical wires have been secured and firefighters remain on-scene to put out any hot spots. Streets were shut down while crews investigated.