Man & his dog escape burning home in east Phoenix

- Crews with the Phoenix Fire Department say a man escaped with his dog from his burning apartment this morning near 40th Street and Indian School.

Firefighters responded to the home after 8:30am when neighbors called 911.  The man inside the home says he woke up to a loud noise, realized his home was on fire, and got out of the burning duplex with his dog.

Fire crews were able to keep the flames under control to prevent them from spreading to nearby units in the single-story duplex.  Firefighters say they were able to save 80 percent of the building.

The man says he did not hear his smoke alarm go off, and that he had never checked the batteries.  Firefighters say it's a good reminder to make sure smoke alarms in the home are always in working order with fresh batteries.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories