Man injured when his vape explodes

- Otis Stovall says he was at work unloading a truck when his leg caught fire, he frantically tried to put it out, and now he's speaking out against the product he says left him with third-degree burns.

Stovall, who is 22 started using a vape pen to stop lighting up, never thinking the vaporizer would light him up.

"I just heard it explode in my pocket and I'm thinking what is that sound, and I look down, and it's like flames burning out of my pocket," said Otis Stovall.

He says he started hitting at the flames to put the fire out which started as he was unloading the truck.

"I just looked down and saw that pieces of my skin were missing," he said.

Stovall is now being treated at the Arizona Burn Center and is suffering from second and third-degree burns. He's not alone; there are a dozen other cases of vapes and e-cigs blowing up across the country.

"The e-cigs are powered by a lithium-ion battery, and that battery can overheat and explode, and the whole unit can explode," said Dr. Kevin Foster.

Stovall's plan to quit smoking using a vape is now up in smoke, but he hopes others learn from his pain.

"If you are just going to quit smoking cigarettes, just quit smoking cigarettes, don't go to anything else," said Stovall.

Commercial airlines have now banned e-cigs and vaporizers; FEMA has reported at least 25 cases of the explosions since 2009. 

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories