Neighbors watch as abandoned clubhouse burns down

It was a massive fire last night; the Ahwatukee Lakes Golf Course Club House went up in the flames. The course closed a few years ago, but the fire is the latest in a string of problems with the now-vacant property.
The residents here on the Ahwatukee Lakes Golf Course say the course has been deteriorating for years. The owners  The True Life Companies have eight code violations from unsound fencing to unsafe debris.  And after last night's fire, Councilman Sal DiCiccio is calling for the property owners to step up and accept responsibility.
"It used to look really nice, green like a golf course should," said Dave Brierly.
Dave Brierly and is wife Cathe bought their home on the Ahwatukee Lakes Golf Course 20 years ago, when it overlooked two sparkling ponds.
"You go out and look at them now, and they look like the moon craters on the moon they're just dried up dirt bowls," said Cathe Brierly.
The Brierlys and their neighbors have watched the course deteriorate and saw the crumbling clubhouse go up in flames last night. City Councilman Sal DiCiccio says the course owner The True Life Companies is responsible for the property becoming an eyesore. 
"They don't have one violation against they, they have eight violations against them, and they were notified twice now that this building was a hazard," said DiCiccio.
After last night's fire, Councilman DiCiccio is asking the city to charge True Like Companies for the services used in last night's fire and require the company to clean up the mess.  A proposal the couple supports.
"This affects the whole community not just us, Ahwatukee is a nice community, and we sure don't need this eyesore," said Cathe.
Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories