PHOENIX - A third teenager in Maricopa County became sick after taking part in the "Tide Pod Challenge," and now Procter & Gamble, the company that makes Tide Pods, is taking action.
They released a public service announcement featuring NFL player Rob Gronkowski:
Procter & Gamble is also asking social media companies to stop the spread of videos that show people eating and biting on the product.
Doctors say the detergent can cause seizures, respiratory arrest and even death.
"For an adult to try this or a teen to try this, I'm trying to think if there's been anything dumber," said Dr. Frank Lovecchio of Banner Health.
This dangerous new trend is landing some people in the emergency room. The so-called challenge has people popping the laundry pod in their mouth, then they post videos of themselves chewing the pod as it oozes the colorful detergent.
So far this year in Maricopa County, there have been three calls to the Banner Health Poison and Drug Information Center related to the Tide Pod Challenge.
"It's a super high concentration of soap, detergents. That can be caustic and what I mean by caustic is it can burn your esophagus or your feeding tube. It can also burn your airway or your breathing tube," explained Dr. Lovecchio.
Some of those complications can't be reversed.
Lovecchio says in 2017, there were about 30 calls into Poison Control Centers across the United States for complications with Tide pods for teens ages 13 to 19. This year, there have already been nearly 100 calls.