PHOENIX (KSAZ) - Fire officials spoke about the dangers posed by shed fires on Friday.
It's a huge challenge for firefighters in the summer months, and the Valley has seen several incidents in the past few weeks. A few days ago, SkyFOX Drone captured video of a shed fire that spread quickly, in the area of 32nd Street and Oak in Phoenix. The fire took out a strip mall filled with businesses, but heroic work by Phoenix firefighters saved homes nearby.
The fire began in a shed behind one of the businesses, and sheds can be dangerous places.
"They are usually close to homes and garages, the exterior of the home," said Daniel Cheatham with Phoenix Fire. "Once they catch fire, the flames can easily migrate into the home and structure."
How do fires start in sheds, especially during the Valley's scorching-hot summer months?
"Well, the origins can be many things, but a common thread to many of these fires is many things stored in there together, shouldn't be there together," said Cheatham.
Things, such as pool chemicals that come into contact with each other when they should be kept apart. Volatile chemicals should be stored apart, and the same goes for gasoline. Another advice is to keep sheds ventilated.