PHOENIX (KSAZ) - It's National Poison Prevention Week and humans aren't the only ones at risk; our furry friends are too!
Poison is the number one leading cause to injury-related deaths in the U.S., according to poisonprevention.org.
This week, the Arizona Veterinary Medical Association encourages pet owners to educate themselves about potential poisons in order to create a safe environment at home for both owners and pets.
It's critical to keep a few tips in mind: practice safe storage habits, read and follow labels and instruction, and detect any visible threats.
"Most of our household items, cleaning items, coins, tobacco products, our own medications are toxic to our pets," Dr. Brian Serbin said.
This also includes things in season like lilies, chocolate and even anti-freeze. But the most important tip, experts say, is to never hesitate to call your local vet immediately.
"If your pet happens to ingest or if there's a question about whether they ingested these products, then you should call your veterinarian," Dr. Serbin said.