PHOENIX (FOX 10) - March 17 through to 23 is Poison Prevention Week. The Arizona Humane Society wants to remind pet owners their animals are at risk too.
One dog almost didn't survive what appeared to an overdose.
"She was disoriented, she was chomping, she was doing seizure activities, she had a high body temperature so she was suspicious of consuming something that was toxic," said Dr. Steven Hansen, President of the Arizona Humane Society.
Dr. Steven Hansen, President of the Arizona Humane Society and board-certified toxicologist, says the dog was found in a garbage can by Phoenix Police.
"She did have methamphetamine in her body so most likely she ingested methamphetamine either intentionally or by accident," said Dr. Hansen.
Although this is an extreme case, Dr. Hansen is reminding pet owners of the dangers associated with drugs, medications, and even common household items.
"Medical marijuana or marijuana, in general, is becoming an even more common exposure in dogs," said Dr. Hansen. "It's something the poison control center has taken calls for many years on marijuana now the numbers are spiking up substantially."
The Animal Poison Control at the ASPCA has seen a 765 percent increase in calls in states that allow the use of medical or recreational marijuana. Overall centers like this receive over 200-thousand calls for help every year.
"The most common exposures for dogs are human medications and of the human medications the most common are you wouldn't be surprised it's the ibuprofen, the car profron, the naproxen those types of over the counter pain relievers are very common," explained Dr. Hansen.
Dr. Hansen suggests keeping pill bottles inside a drawer or cabinet so Fido can't get to them. The same goes for household spraying cleaner, cleaning products, and chemicals.
"Any products in the home that say kill something, kill germs if it says kills something that means it's a fairly toxic product and if a dog eats it can damage a dog's esophagus and stomach," says Dr. Hansen.
Ingesting a poison or a pill does not always come with a death sentence. This puppy is expected to make a full recovery, but it can be harmful and scary. That's why Dr. Hansen wants people to be careful when pets are around.
Dr. Hansen suggests keeping a pet first aid kit on hand which includes:
- A fresh bottle of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting
- Artificial tear gel for eye lubrication
- Mild grease-cutting dishwashing liquid for skin contamination
- Forceps to remove stingers
In the case of an emergency, Dr. Hansen says go to your vet, or the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center is open 24 hours a day every day of the year. Just call 888-426-4435.