Cottonwood police release dramatic video of fight, officer-involved shooting

We're getting a look at some unbelievable video of a deadly brawl between a family and police officers.

This happened March 21st at a Walmart store's parking lot in Cottonwood.  One person was killed and an officer was shot in the leg.

Cottonwood Police released the video to show the public why they had to use lethal force.

The 8-minute video shows the dramatic 8-on-8 brawl between the Gaver family and officers.  The footage was captured from a police cruiser that pulled up to the scene.

>>VIDEO: Dashcam footage of Walmart brawl and shooting

CPD's Chief Jody Fanning explained his officers' actions before and after the deadly shooting.

Throughout the melee, fists and batons were flying, pepper spray and tasers were deployed.  At one point, several people were on the ground, fighting for an officer's gun.

"He pulls Sgt. Daniels backwards by the ears and the eyes on the ground, which puts that subject right on top of him.. in control of the weapon,"
said Fanning.

Fanning narrated the video, saying the gun was pointed at Daniels' leg when it went off.  After the first shooting, the gun gets loose and family members continued to fight the wounded officer for it.

"Hicks is going to draw his weapon.. this one charges.. Hicks hits this gentleman in the abdomen and shoots Enoch who's on top and in control of the weapon still," said Fanning.

21-year-old Enoch Gaver was shot in the head. He died, but the fighting continued.

"At this point, Sgt. Daniels has his weapon in control.. it's malfunctioning.. you'll notice they keep putting their hands up.. in this incident, the hands up does not mean surrender. As you see, they never surrender," said Fanning.

No more shots were fired.  Four more officers arrived at the scene and the chaos continued for several more minutes.

"He's gonna come in and club our officer right across the throat and spinning and tangles the wires from the taser which drops Officer Clark.. he then gets hit by Officer Hicks," said Fanning.

The battles continued for several more minutes until officers are finally able to take control of the situation -- nearly 10 minutes after the brawl began.

Five adults from the Garver family were arrested and are being held on several felony misdemeanor charges.  A 15-year-old and 11-year-old are being held in juvenile detention.
Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories