Fire marshal stops blasting at Camelback Mountain after neighbor complaints

No more blasting on the south side of Camelback Mountain.

On Wednesday, the Phoenix fire marshal put a halt to a company blasting parts of the mountain with dynamite to make way for a huge home.  This happened after neighbors complained that debris from the blasting was damaging their property.

The marshal says he met with the contracting company and permanently terminated their blasting permit because of their inability to contain blasting debris.  People living below the construction site say they're elated.

Video posted online shows blasting on the mountain as a developer makes way for the huge home near Valle Vista and Arcadia.

As FOX 10 first reported on Monday, homeowners say these videos show boulders tumbling down Camelback on to their property.

In a statement to FOX 10, the fire marshal says, "I advised them that due to their inability to contain blasting debris in the blast site, I am permanently terminating their blasting permit at the site.  I advised them to contact the Building Department for approval to use techniques, other than blasting, for excavating the site."

You can  see the construction happening above two homes.  Neighbors say during one of the blasts, Palo Verde trees with in feet of the first house landed on the driveway of the second house, damaging it.. rock fragments came showering down and they say a boulder hopped the fence.

On Friday, the city said it issued a notice to stop work on the blasting until the boulders, leaning up against a catch fence, have been removed and until the company can prove they can protect the surrounding property.

Candelaria Design Company posted a rendering of the home being built on their Facebook page. 

The developers told FOX 10 on Monday that the blasting was designed to speed up the process so neighbors wouldn't have to endure months of jack hammering.

One of the families' driveways was damaged and fixed within days.

We called Adams contracting for a comment just before 5:00 p.m. Wednesday, but have not yet heard back.

The project manager for Bedrock Developers, who is in charge of the site, said he didn't want to comment until he saw the written instructions from the fire marshal, but he told us on Monday that safety is their priority.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories