Jerice Hunter murder trial: defense rests case in one day

One day is all it took for the defense to present it's case in the Jerice Hunter murder trial.

Attorneys called just two witnesses to the stand, and one of them admitted he did not want to be there.

Prosecutors rested after a total of 18 days of testimony. 

Both witnesses called to testify Wednesday were protected, meaning they could not have their faces shown.

The first witness called to testify was a former Marine and Jerice Hunter's neighbor, who years ago told officers he saw Jhessye playing outside a few hours before she was reported missing.

But when he was asked by defense attorneys he wasn't so sure. "I might have, I'm not sure, there's pretty much a lot of kids that run thru that complex," said the neighbor.

Prosecutors then cross-examined him.

"Do you really remember seeing Jhessye on October 11, 2011?" asked the prosecutor.
"Not that I remember, I really don't," said the neighbor.
"And you do have some memory problems? asked the prosecutor
"Yes," replied the neighbor.
"So that makes all this really difficult for you?" asked the prosecutor.
"It stresses me out, a lot right now," said the neighbor.
"And that's why you don't want to be here, because you don't remember, and now you're stressed? asked the prosecutor.
"Yes," replied the neighbor.

A second witness was a woman in her late 60's. She claims she saw Jhessye outside of her apartment complex down the block on the day she was reported missing.

"When I looked at her face I saw tears, you know how when a child cries or we cry, there are tear stains," said the woman.

She said she saw a woman pull the 5-year-old into a car.

"I honestly didn't know that I had actually seen an abduction until later," she said.

She didn't report it to the police until she saw the news about Jhessye's disappearance. She also said after she talked to police she was threatened by a mysterious woman who knocked on her door.

"She demanded that I tell the police that it was a white woman who took the child, not a black woman because black women don't do things like this," said the woman.

"It was a black woman that grabbed the little girl and put her in the car, and I was not about to go and tell a lie to the police," she said.

Closing arguments are set to begin on Monday morning; the jury will start deliberating after that.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories