The family tells FOX 10 they had no reason to believe their daughter was served alcohol. The drink came in a clearly marked kid's cup with a lid on top, but they say when their daughter took a gulp, she passed out.
3-year-old Kilani's favorite drink is juice. So when it came time to order at the restaurant, she asked for juice. Kilani's parents say she received a mixed alcoholic beverage in the kids cup instead.
"It was terrible. As I am sitting there realizing, wow, my daughter has had a drink of alcohol…a very strong drink…I'm shaking because she is in my arms and I can't wake her up," said Montriece Baker, Kilani's mother.
Kilani's parents say when their daughter passed out on the table, they took a sip of the drink, realized it was alcohol and notified the manager.
"Obviously, we were very distraught and he did feel bad and was frantic too," said Baker.
The family says they rushed to an emergency room where doctors monitored Kilani for alcohol poisoning.
Kilani is now back to her energetic self. Her parents say they're lucky she only had a gulp of the drink before falling asleep.
"Usually she drinks a lot. She gets multiple refills, so I don't even like to think about what could possibly happen, but we could be telling a completely different story right now," said Baker.
In a statement to FOX 10, a Benihana spokesperson said, "Benihana takes all matters of our guests' safety very seriously. We are aware of the incident and are conducting a thorough investigation at this time."
"She's my daughter. My 3-year-old baby girl. I can't see myself going back. I understand accidents happen, but it could have been a lot worse," said Brian Murray, Kilani's father.
The family says they want the restaurant chain to pay for their emergency room visit, and reevaluate staff and procedures.