Residents without power after small fire

Power was out Monday evening for over a dozen homeowners after a power pole caught fire.

The flames from that fire spread to a nearby home.

The fire is now out, and the power is out, the triple digit temperatures can be dangerous, but residents are getting some relief from the heat.

Now investigators and Arizona Public Service are trying to figure out exactly what happened to the power pole to spark that fire.

Multiple Phoenix Fire crews responded to the fire near 7th Street and Glendale. The fire appears to have started on the power pole and burned a portion of one home's detached garage.

An elderly couple was home at the time but was able to get out safely.

"This was very close, I was glad it didn't jump," said one neighbor.

On just the other side of the fence, a woman caring for her daughter's home surveyed the damage that came very close to her home.

"She is currently in Flagstaff, she had a house sitter here who heard this snapping and popping of the wires, and then called 9-1-1," said a spokesperson from Phoenix Fire.

Firefighters went through their backyard to better access the flames.

Luckily the crews were able to keep the fire at bay, and no other structures burned.

The Red Cross is now assisting the handful of homes in the area without power with assistance until the power is restored.
Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories