Woman suing Starbucks claims hot tea killed her dog, scalded her

(FOX News) -- A Denver woman is suing Starbucks over claims that scalding tea spilled through an unsecured cup lid, giving her second-degree burns and killing her dog.

In September 2015, Deanna Salas-Solano, 58, bought a 20-ounce ‘venti’ hot tea at a drive-thru Starbucks in Denver, KDVR reported. The lawsuit, filed in Denver District Federal Court on Friday, claims that hot tea spilled on Salas-Solano’s lap because the cup's lid wasn’t properly secured.

The hot beverage "melted" through her clothes, the lawsuit said, causing burns and severe pain to her legs and stomach.

In addition to having an unsecured lid, the tea didn't come with a hot cup sleeve and was not “double-cupped,” according to the lawsuit. Salas-Solanos alleged it was so hot that she burned her hand holding the cup.

She said her dog, Alexander, jumped onto her lap as she was screaming in pain, causing hot tea to spill onto him. The dog was treated by an emergency veterinarian but “ultimately succumbed to the injuries caused by the tea, dying a short time later,” the lawsuit said.

Read more at FOXNews.com

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories