Child Abuse Nightmare Comes to End at Grand Canyon - FOX 10 News |

Child Abuse Nightmare Comes to End at Grand Canyon


It's a nightmare at one of the most beautiful places in the world. We've learned of a vicious case of child abuse at the Grand Canyon. A grandfather from Indiana is accused of what can only be described as torturing his grandkids.

The brutality against these three little boys will make your stomach churn.

Christopher Carlson is accused of heinous acts. He allegedly forced his young grandsons to hike the Grand Canyon without food or water from sunrise to sunset. His grandsons -- ages 12, 9 and 8 had blisters on their feet, cracked lips and could barely stand -- but if they stopped, he would physically harm them, reports allege.

Hundreds of people venture into the Grand Canyon and make it out just fine. But others need to be rescued after battling the extreme conditions.

The National Park Service made nearly 300 rescues in 2010 -- and one rescue was made just a few days ago.

Federal paperwork reveals Christopher Carlson nearly hiked his three grandkids to the brink of death.

In one day, the 12, 9 and 8-year-old boys hiked nearly 20 miles in 108 degrees at the Grand Canyon.

The court paperwork says the boys were on the trail when the sun rose. They weren't given breakfast -- only celery -- to eat. They did not get water.

If they boys tried to stop, Carlson would allegedly whip their shirtless backs with a wet t-shirt.
And he would hit, push, kick and even choke his three grandsons.

When one boy collapsed out of exhaustion -- Carlson pushed him to the ground and smashed his face into a rock.

He reportedly choked and lifted his youngest grandson by the throat, the report alleges.

Carlson harshly squeezed their genitals as a form of punishment, and would not allow them to use the restroom for more than a few seconds. After hiking, the boys were not allowed to sleep.

The boys were forced to say they were "fine" to passersby. But the oldest grandson secretly asked one hiker to call 911.

People did. CPS took the boys into custody on August 28, and their grandfather was arrested.

The paperwork says this abuse had been going on for some time. The boys were physically abused on trips to many states and countries.

Carlson is due to appear at a Flagstaff federal court hearing Thursday morning. That's when he will be released on bail or kept in jail.

Christopher Carlson is being held on six counts of causing death or serious bodily injury to children under his care. A booking photo has not been made available.

Click here to read the 24-page criminal complaint [Caution: graphic content]:

Powered by WorldNow

511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices