Students return to Finch Elementary - FOX 10 News |

Students return to Finch Elementary

Posted: Updated:

Students of Finch Elementary School returned to their own school on Friday morning after officials found the cause of a carbon monoxide leak. Classed has been held at Kennedy Middle School since Tuesday.

Students were greeted by teachers and administrators at the door. Firefighters and other first responders to Monday's carbon monoxide leak were also there to help reassure students. Representatives from Chick-Fil-A passed out breakfast to returning students.

Parents and students told FOX 5's Patty that they were glad to be back.

"It was a great time," said Tayanna Askew.

School officials said during a press conference Thursday that human error was to blame for the leak which forced about 50 students and teachers to be taken to the hospital for treatment. All have since been released.

On Wednesday, school officials installed a mobile temporary boiler until a permanent one can be installed.

"I'm sure all the government inspectors did their job. It's probably the safest boiler in town because of what they did," said parent Jason Warneld. "It's unfortunate that it happened, but I think it's going to be alright.

Authorities released 911 calls, which indicated the panic on Monday.
CALLER: Students started passing out in one of our classrooms. The teacher is down on the floor and at least four of the students.

CALLER: We have kids and students and we don't know what's going on. We need medical attention right now.

School officials said that the new boiler will come in some time next weekend. The two maintenance workers are under investigation.

Powered by WorldNow

511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices