Glendale Fire say a house fire that broke out Thursday night was started by a child playing with a candle.
The fire started about 8:45 p.m. Thursday near 49th Ave and West Kaler Circle.
Fire investigators say the child was playing under a bed and started the blaze. His mother was sleeping in another room at the time.
"The whole room caught on fire and there was a lot of smoke," says 13-year-old Christian Simmons, who watched from his home across the street. "I was just in shock."
Crews had received initial reports people were trapped inside the home, which prompted a 1-alarm response. They sent in twice the amount of manpower, anticipating a possible rescue situation. But everyone was able to get out of the house safely before the fire department arrived.
"Lot of fire trucks here, they cut the hole in the roof there, so the fire could escape out of there. Firefighters everywhere, I was more concerned about the family," says neighbor Tim Simmons.
Tim Simmons says a family of 5 lives there -- parents, two boys, and an infant girl. He saw the mother running from the home with the baby.
"They were kind of dazed, they weren't crying, they were just shocked, they didn't know what to say, what to do. I tried to stay with them and help them."
The fire devoured everything, leaving just a charred mess behind.
Investigators believe one of the boys started the fire with a candle.
Simmons, a former Phoenix firefighter, says parents need to start educating children early.
"Teach them that fire can be your friend, fire can be your enemy, learn to approach it that way."
Between 2005 and 2009, fires started by children accounted for 56,000 fires a year on average nationally.