Maine Township board to fire another coach amid hazing scandal - FOX 10 News | fox10phoenix.com

Maine Township board votes to fire another coach amid hazing scandal

Posted: Updated:
CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) -

The Maine Township school board voted Thursday to fire a second soccer coach swept up in a hazing scandal at the northwest suburban school district.

In calling for Emilio Rodriguez's dismissal, the board stated in documents he was "not forthright" when he denied at a meeting in December he'd been told about the alleged initiation of a student — one that's previously been described as a sexual assault.

"Your blanket denial that students reported these allegations to you is not plausible or credible in light of the statements of at least eight students that a student or students reported these allegations to you," the board wrote in the documents it used to begin the process of firing Rodriguez.

That meeting occurred the day after the board voted to fire varsity soccer coach Michael Divincenzo, according to the documents. Now Rodriguez, like Divincenzo, is suspended without pay while their dismissal processes play out.

Rodriguez will have 17 days after being formally notified of the board's decision to ask for a hearing where he could fight for his job. Divincenzo, who is also being disciplined over the hazing scandal, is already seeking a hearing.

Neither man has made a public comment about the allegations despite several requests from the Sun-Times. Rodriguez couldn't be reached for comment Thursday. Police reports show the men denied knowing about hazing at the school.

They also show Rodriguez said he was told some soccer players "got" another player on Sept. 26. When Rodriguez asked that player what happened, Rodriguez told police the player said others tackled him and tried to pull his pants down but didn't get his underwear down. When Rodriguez asked the player if that's all that happened, he said the player said yes.

The board's resolution said Rodriguez was told at least two freshman soccer players were assaulted and sodomized that day with fingers or sticks as a form of hazing.

Meanwhile, in another move to combat allegations of a hazing culture at the Maine Township schools, the board voted to hire a former Assistant U.S. Attorney, Sergio Acosta, to "scrutinize every aspect" of the hazing matter at $300 an hour. Cook County prosecutors and state child welfare officials are also investigating.

Acosta is a former chief of the general crimes section of the criminal division of the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Illinois, according to his online biography.

Tony Romanucci, a lawyer suing the school district over the hazing allegations, said he is glad to see it is "cleaning house." However, he also told reporters before the board's vote he thinks Maine West Principal Audrey Haugan is being protected as discipline is handed out.

Haugan is named along with Divincenzo and Rodriguez in Romanucci's lawsuit. The attorney claims Haugan knew Divincenzo tolerated the alleged abuse of a student on a baseball team he coached in 2008 and took no action against him.

Haugan has declined in the past to speak about the allegations and couldn't be reached for comment Thursday.

Share Your Photos & Video

  • Metro HeadlinesMore>>

  • At least 13 injured after shuttle bus crash at O'Hare

    At least 13 injured after shuttle bus crash at O'Hare

    Friday, August 29 2014 10:06 AM EDT2014-08-29 14:06:46 GMT
    At least 13 people, including an off-duty firefighter, were injured after a shuttle bus was involved in a crash near O'Hare International Airport, clogging traffic heading to one of the terminals at the start of the busy Labor Day travel period.
    At least 13 people, including an off-duty firefighter, were injured after a shuttle bus was involved in a crash near O'Hare International Airport, clogging traffic heading to one of the terminals at the start of the busy Labor Day travel period.
  • Paramedic becomes father after delivering own baby on Edens

    Paramedic becomes father after delivering own baby on Edens

    Friday, August 29 2014 9:51 AM EDT2014-08-29 13:51:24 GMT
    An off-duty paramedic delivered his own baby on the Edens Expressway Friday morning.The father -- who also works as a paramedic -- was in a vehicle heading northbound on I-94 near the Touhy Avenue exit when he stopped the car about 4:30 a.m. to deliver his own baby, according to Lincolnwood police and Illinois State Troopers.Officials could not immediately say if the baby was a boy or girl, but added that the family was OK.
    An off-duty paramedic delivered his own baby on the Edens Expressway Friday morning.The father -- who also works as a paramedic -- was in a vehicle heading northbound on I-94 near the Touhy Avenue exit when he stopped the car about 4:30 a.m. to deliver his own baby, according to Lincolnwood police and Illinois State Troopers.Officials could not immediately say if the baby was a boy or girl, but added that the family was OK.
  • IU student from Libertyville dies at sorority house

    IU student from Libertyville dies at sorority house

    An Indiana University spokesman says foul play isn't suspected in the death of a 20-year-old student from suburban Chicago at a campus sorority house.
    An Indiana University spokesman says foul play isn't suspected in the death of a 20-year-old student from suburban Chicago at a campus sorority house.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices