Hoboken parade canceled; pub crawl returns - FOX 10 News | fox10phoenix.com

Hoboken parade canceled for second straight year

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Bar owners in Hoboken, New Jersey struggling to recover from superstorm Sandy won't be getting a boost around St. Patrick's Day. The Mile Square city's annual St. Patrick's Day parade-- canceled last year-- has been canceled, again.

Mayor Dawn Zimmer wanted the parade held during a weekday to cut back on out-of-control revelers, but the St. Patrick's Day Parade committee said no.

Before it was canceled last year, the parade was held on the first Saturday of March for 25 years. The day typically began with bars and restaurants opening as early as 8 a.m.

Critics say the parade is not the problem but the people who start drinking early in the day. 

Last year, with the parade canceled, revelers took part in the Lepre-Con pub crawl.

This year, people dressed in green are expected to head to the dozens of bars in town on Sat., March 2, the day the parade would have been held. 

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Cops: Lacey committeeman punches another official in face at Gille Park

    Cops: Lacey committeeman punches another official in face at Gille Park

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 1:55 PM EDT2014-09-16 17:55:37 GMT
    Lacey police gave Township Committeeman Mark Dykoff a summons for striking fellow Township Committeeman David Most at a gathering near the pavilion at Gille Park on Sunday, Police Chief David A. Paprota said.Sgt. Paul J. Sullivan and Patrolman Daniel Ricciardella responded to a report of an assault at 1:13 p.m. on Sept. 14 at the park, the chief said.
    Lacey police gave Township Committeeman Mark Dykoff a summons for striking fellow Township Committeeman David Most at a gathering near the pavilion at Gille Park on Sunday, Police Chief David A. Paprota said.Sgt. Paul J. Sullivan and Patrolman Daniel Ricciardella responded to a report of an assault at 1:13 p.m. on Sept. 14 at the park, the chief said.
  • Man charged in quadruple homicide, former Brick resident's murders

    Man charged in quadruple homicide, former Brick resident's murders

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 1:53 PM EDT2014-09-16 17:53:26 GMT
    The man Florida authorities singled out as a suspect in a quadruple homicide involving three former Brick, N.J. and Lehigh Valley residents now faces four first-degree murder charges. Adam Matos was charged in the deaths of his ex-girlfriend, her parents and her boyfriend, late Monday afternoon.
    The man Florida authorities singled out as a suspect in a quadruple homicide involving three former Brick, N.J. and Lehigh Valley residents now faces four first-degree murder charges. Adam Matos was charged in the deaths of his ex-girlfriend, her parents and her boyfriend, late Monday afternoon.
  • NJSIAA confirms investigation of 'racist' banana incident at high school football game

    NJSIAA confirms investigation of 'racist' banana incident at high school football game

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 1:10 PM EDT2014-09-16 17:10:03 GMT
    Assistant Superintendent of North Plainfield Schools Dr. Robert Rich confirmed that an incident of alleged racism occurred prior to the high school football game last Friday between Summit and North Plainfield. Rich also confirmed that there are internal and external investigations into the allegations.
    Assistant Superintendent of North Plainfield Schools Dr. Robert Rich confirmed that an incident of alleged racism occurred prior to the high school football game last Friday between Summit and North Plainfield. Rich also confirmed that there are internal and external investigations into the allegations.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices