Giants' Diehl pleads guilty to drunken driving in Queens - FOX 10 News | fox10phoenix.com

Giants' Diehl pleads guilty to drunken driving in Queens

Posted: Updated:
David Diehl of the New York Giants NFL football team. (AP Photo) David Diehl of the New York Giants NFL football team. (AP Photo)
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

New York Giants offensive lineman David Diehl has admitted to driving while under the influence of alcohol in connection with crashing his car in Astoria, Queens, back in June 2012, according to Queens District Attorney Richard Brown.

Diehl, 32, on Monday pleaded guilty to one count of aggravated driving while under the influence and one count of driving while impaired. He will be under court supervision for six months.

Diehl also agreed to continue in the NFL substance abuse treatment program, wear an alcohol-monitoring bracelet for 90 days, pay up to $1,200 in restitution to the owners of the two cars she smashed into, participate in an awareness program for first-time DWI offender, and not drive or apply for a driver's license until after his sentencing, which has not yet been scheduled., the D.A.'s office said.

"Queens has a strict and very successful alternative sentencing program that emphasizes treatment and supervision of DUI offenders in order to prevent reoccurrences of unacceptable conduct," Brown said in a statement. "However, if the defendant, who is a first-time offender, fails to comply with all the requirements imposed by the Court, then we will seek more severe sanctions."

If Diehl successfully complies with all the sanctions for six months then the aggravated DWI charge will be dismissed and he will be sentenced to a one-year conditional discharge on the driving while impaired charge, according to Brown.

Back on June 10, 2012, a cop responded to the scene of an accident involving Diehl's BMW and two parked cars on 35th Street in Astoria. The officer reported that Diehl bloodshot and watery eyes, slurred his words, and was unsteady on his feet, the D.A.'s office said.

He admitted to the officer that he had been watching a soccer match at a bar and then got behind the wheel of his car, authorities said.

Diehl has a blood-alcohol content reading of .182 percent, well above the state's .08 legal limit, authorities said.

  • Queens NewsQueens NewsMore>>

  • Almost all NYC pre-K centers ready

    Almost all NYC pre-K centers ready

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:48 PM EDT2014-08-22 23:48:37 GMT
    Nearly all 1,100 facilities providing services in the city's new universal pre-kindergarten program are ready to open on time after passing health and safety inspections. City officials said Friday they expect the eight remaining pre-K schools to remedy violations by Sept. 4's opening day. If they don't, affected children will be temporarily enrolled in other facilities.
    Nearly all 1,100 facilities providing services in the city's new universal pre-kindergarten program are ready to open on time after passing health and safety inspections. City officials said Friday they expect the eight remaining pre-K schools to remedy violations by Sept. 4's opening day. If they don't, affected children will be temporarily enrolled in other facilities.
  • U.S. Open preview

    U.S. Open preview

    Friday, August 22 2014 4:52 PM EDT2014-08-22 20:52:40 GMT
    Heading into the U.S. Open, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray have won 36 of the past 38 Grand Slam titles, a stretch dating to the 2005 French Open. Nowadays, there seems to be a growing sense — or hope, maybe — among the best of the rest on the men's tennis tour that the quartet might be more vulnerable than ever.
    Heading into the U.S. Open, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray have won 36 of the past 38 Grand Slam titles, a stretch dating to the 2005 French Open. Nowadays, there seems to be a growing sense — or hope, maybe — among the best of the rest on the men's tennis tour that the quartet might be more vulnerable than ever.
  • 1990 arson-murder rap tossed, Queens man is set free

    1990 arson-murder rap tossed, Queens man is set free

    A former New York businessman whose arson-murder conviction was overturned in the death of his daughter was freed from prison Friday after 24 years behind bars, following a judge's ruling that the case against him had been based on now-debunked arson science.
    A former New York businessman whose arson-murder conviction was overturned in the death of his daughter was freed from prison Friday after 24 years behind bars, following a judge's ruling that the case against him had been based on now-debunked arson science.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices