Holes in court coverage after prosecutor layoffs in Wayne Co. - FOX 10 News | fox10phoenix.com

Holes in court coverage after prosecutor layoffs in Wayne Co.

Posted: Updated:
The main entrance to 36th District Court in Detroit.  Kym Worthy had fewer prosecutors to send to court Monday after layoffs on Friday.  (Credit: Fox 2 News) The main entrance to 36th District Court in Detroit. Kym Worthy had fewer prosecutors to send to court Monday after layoffs on Friday. (Credit: Fox 2 News)
DETROIT (WJBK) -

In a city that's already strapped for cash, Detroit is losing out on more money.  On Friday, Kym Worthy's office was forced to layoff several prosecutors.  Monday morning, she had nobody to send to 36th District Court for traffic or ordinance violations.

"This is uncharted waters for us.  We know that the City of Detroit needs money, and we're one of those vehicles that in some way helps derive money for the City of Detroit," said 36th District Court Chief Justice Kenneth King.  "Now those efforts are going to be hampered somewhat."

City attorneys handle about 70 percent of the traffic and ordinance violations, but the other 30 percent are handled by the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office.  On Monday, no one from the prosecutor's office showed up for the traffic court docket.  Even worse, there was no coverage for the domestic violence docket.

"If you have a general public that does not feel safe, you have police officers that have been cut and working extra hours, and now you have a prosecution that's unable to man the courthouses, that's a recipe for disaster," King said.

For King, the people of Detroit and Wayne County alike are losing.  Justice is not being served.

"We're just here to administer justice and to make sure that it's done fairly, and that's kind of hard to do when I only have one side that's representing whomever," he said.

So what now?  There is a lot of finger pointing going on.  I spoke with a representative of the executive's office, and the prosecutor's office released a statement.  In short, Worthy says she needs more money.  Ficano believes she should do a better job of appropriating the money she already has been given.

King doesn't care who is to blame.  He just wants someone to fix the problem.

"I hope that someone somewhere resolves this soon because I have enough things going on without adding this to the plate," he said.

  • Ryan ErmanniRyan ErmanniMore>>

  • Ryan Ermanni gets "fired" on-air after Ice Bucket Challenge

    Ryan Ermanni gets "fired" on-air after Ice Bucket Challenge

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 9:29 AM EDT2014-08-19 13:29:48 GMT
    Fox 2's Ryan Ermanni has accepted Macomb County Executive Mark Hackel's Ice Bucket Challenge. The bucket was dumped on Ryan live on-air Tuesday morning.
    Fox 2's Ryan Ermanni has accepted Macomb County Executive Mark Hackel's Ice Bucket Challenge. The bucket was dumped on Ryan live on-air Tuesday morning.
  • Sports radio war goes to new heights at Detroit Lions training camp

    Sports radio war goes to new heights at Detroit Lions training camp

    Tuesday, August 5 2014 3:21 PM EDT2014-08-05 19:21:23 GMT
    Detroit sports talk 'radio wars' are heating up with rival stations trying to-up each other.Fox 2's own Ryan Ermanni hosts a shot on Detroit Sports 105.1 and took part in a latest stunt that has taken the rivalry to new heights at Lions training camp in Allen Park.With 97.1 The Ticket owning the radio broadcast rights to the Detroit Lions and not wanting competitor 105.1 at camp, the radio station took to the air.The radio station's bosses got a scissor lift and stationed it at an adjacent pr...
    Detroit sports talk 'radio wars' are heating up with rival stations trying to-up each other.Fox 2's own Ryan Ermanni hosts a shot on Detroit Sports 105.1 and took part in a latest stunt that has taken the rivalry to new heights at Lions training camp in Allen Park.With 97.1 The Ticket owning the radio broadcast rights to the Detroit Lions and not wanting competitor 105.1 at camp, the radio station took to the air.The radio station's bosses got a scissor lift and stationed it at an adjacent pr...
  • The facts and myths surrounding the new Red Wings arena

    The facts and myths surrounding the new Red Wings arena

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 8:03 PM EDT2014-07-24 00:03:41 GMT
    Many are excited for the new Detroit Red Wings arena and entertainment development, but some believe this isn't where a bankrupt city should be putting its money.
    Many are excited for the new Detroit Red Wings arena and entertainment development, but some believe this isn't where a bankrupt city should be putting its money.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices