Family of 5 safe after flames destroy mobile home - FOX 10 News | fox10phoenix.com

Family of 5 safe after flames destroy mobile home

Posted: Updated:
  • Arizona HeadlinesMore>>

  • Video purports to show beheading of US journalist

    Video purports to show beheading of US journalist

    Islamic State extremists released a video posted Tuesday showing the beheading of a second American journalist, Steven Sotloff, and warning President Barack Obama that as long as U.S. airstrikes against the militant group continue, "our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people."
    Islamic State extremists released a video posted Tuesday showing the beheading of a second American journalist, Steven Sotloff, and warning President Barack Obama that as long as U.S. airstrikes against the militant group continue, "our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people."
  • Girl said Uzi was too much for her

    Girl said Uzi was too much for her

    Police reports released Tuesday say a 9-year-old girl who accidentally killed a shooting range instructor with an Uzi in northern Arizona had said immediately after the shooting that she felt the gun was too much for her and had hurt her shoulder.
    Police reports released Tuesday say a 9-year-old girl who accidentally killed a shooting range instructor with an Uzi in northern Arizona had said immediately after the shooting that she felt the gun was too much for her and had hurt her shoulder.
  • Freeway pursuit: Driver refuses to pull over on I-10

    Freeway pursuit: Driver refuses to pull over on I-10

    A woman is recovering in a hospital after allegedly leading DPS officers on a pursuit through Maricopa County.
    A woman is recovering in a hospital after allegedly leading DPS officers on a pursuit through Maricopa County.
CASA GRANDE, Ariz. -

A family of five is safe after their mobile home near Main Street and Gila Bend Highway burned to the ground on Friday morning.

Pinal County Sheriff's Department says the family, two adults and three teenagers, were able to get out safely, although four cats are unaccounted for.

According to homeowner Kelly Smith, the home hasn't had any electricity for a couple of days. The family had a candle burning for light when they got ready for work.

Smith says he believes a candle was too close to a couch and started the fire. One of the teens saw flames starting to creep up the wall and started screaming.

"I was sleeping in my room and all I heard was loud screaming and I ran out, I saw my whole house on fire," said Smith's son Joseph Connis.

All five people got out safely, but the trailer is a total loss.

"We had four cats inside, I tried to go back in and get the cats, but the fire went up so quickly and the flames were too high, it went too quick," says Smith.

Investigators are working to find out how the fire started. Meanwhile, friends are helping them find a place to live and get back on their feet.

Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices