Letter With Ricin Sent To Mississippi Senator - FOX 10 News | fox10phoenix.com

Letter With Ricin Sent To Mississippi Senator

Posted: Updated:
Washington -

(AP) An envelope addressed to Sen. Roger Wicker of Mississippi tested positive Tuesday for ricin, a potentially fatal poison, congressional officials said, heightening concerns about terrorism a day after a bombing killed three and left more than 170 injured at the Boston Marathon.
 
One senator, Claire McCaskill of Missouri, said authorities have a suspect in the fast-moving case, but she did not say if an arrest had been made. She added the letter was from an individual who frequently writes lawmakers.
 
The FBI and U.S. Capitol Police are both investigating.
 
Terrance W. Gainer, the Senate sergeant-at-arms, said in an emailed message to Senate offices that the envelope to Wicker had no obviously suspicious outside markings, bore a postmark of Memphis, Tenn., and lacked a return address.
 
He added there was "no indication that there are other suspect mailings," but urged caution.  
 
The letter was discovered at a mail processing plant in Prince George's County in suburban Maryland, said Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill.
 
Wicker's office issued a statement saying "any inquiries regarding member security must be directed to the United States Capitol Police."
 
Capitol Police had no immediate comment.
 
But Majority Leader Harry Reid told reporters of the letter, and other lawmakers said they had been provided information by the office of the Senate sergeant-at-arms.
 
Milt Leitenberg, a University of Maryland bioterrorism expert, said ricin is a poison derived from the same bean that makes castor oil. He said it must be ingested to be fatal.
 
"Luckily, this was discovered at the processing center off premises," Durbin said. He said all mail to senators is "roasted, toasted, sliced and opened" before it ever gets to them.
 
One law enforcement official said evidence of ricin appeared on preliminary field tests of the letter, although such results are not deemed conclusive without further testing. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation remains active.
 
The discovery evoked memories of the days after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, when mail laced with anthrax began appearing in post offices, newsrooms and congressional offices.
 
That included letters sent to Sen. Tom Daschle, D-S.D., who was Senate majority leader, and Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt. Two Senate office buildings were closed during that investigation.
 
Overall, five people died and 17 others became ill. The FBI attributed the attack to a government scientist who committed suicide in 2008.
 
More immediately, though, the discovery came as lawmakers were demanding answers to the attacks in Boston a day earlier.
 
There was no evidence of a connection between the bombings and the letter addressed to Wicker, a Mississippi Republican.

  • PoliticsMore>>

  • Businesses Troubled Over Garcetti's Proposal To Raise The Minimum Wage

    Businesses Troubled Over Garcetti's Proposal To Raise The Minimum Wage

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 12:05 PM EDT2014-08-27 16:05:20 GMT
    Los Angeles business leaders said today they were troubled by a proposal being shopped by Mayor Eric Garcetti that would raise the minimum wage in Los Angeles to as much as $13.50 an hour by 2017.
    Los Angeles business leaders said today they were troubled by a proposal being shopped by Mayor Eric Garcetti that would raise the minimum wage in Los Angeles to as much as $13.50 an hour by 2017.
  • Source: American Islamic Militant Said Killed In Syria

    Source: American Islamic Militant Said Killed In Syria

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 10:42 AM EDT2014-08-27 14:42:03 GMT
    An American man believed to have been killed in Syria was there to fight alongside an extremist militant group, most likely the Islamic State, a U.S. official said Tuesday.
    An American man believed to have been killed in Syria was there to fight alongside an extremist militant group, most likely the Islamic State, a U.S. official said Tuesday.
  • Israel, Hamas Accept Gaza War Cease-Fire

    Israel, Hamas Accept Gaza War Cease-Fire

    Tuesday, August 26 2014 12:57 PM EDT2014-08-26 16:57:15 GMT
    Israel and Hamas announced Tuesday that they agreed to an open-ended cease-fire in the Gaza war after seven weeks of fighting that killed more than 2,200 people, the vast majority Palestinians. The cease-fire was to take effect at 7 p.m. local time (1600 GMT), but violence persisted until the last minute.
    Israel and Hamas announced Tuesday that they agreed to an open-ended cease-fire in the Gaza war after seven weeks of fighting that killed more than 2,200 people, the vast majority Palestinians. The cease-fire was to take effect at 7 p.m. local time (1600 GMT), but violence persisted until the last minute.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices