Fort Drum soldiers killed in Afghanistan - FOX 10 News | fox10phoenix.com

Fort Drum soldiers killed in Afghanistan

Posted: Updated:
1st Lt. Robert J. Hess and Capt. Aaron R. Blanchard (U.S. Army photos) 1st Lt. Robert J. Hess and Capt. Aaron R. Blanchard (U.S. Army photos)
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Two soldiers from Fort Drum, in northern New York, were killed in combat in Afghanistan, the Department of Defense announced.

Capt. Aaron R. Blanchard, 32, of Selah, Wash., and 1st Lt. Robert J. Hess, 26, of Fairfax, Va., suffered fatal wounds when they were hot by indirect fire in Pul-E-Alam on April 23, 2013, the Pentagon said.

They were assigned to the 2nd Aviation Battalion, 10th Combat Aviation Brigade, 10th Mountain Division.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo ordered flags on state government buildings to be flown at half-staff on April 30 in their honor.

"I join with all New Yorkers in mourning the loss of Captain Blanchard and Lieutenant Hess, and I send my deepest sympathies to their family, friends, and fellow soldiers," Cuomo said. "We will honor the service of these Fort Drum soldiers and we will be forever grateful for their dedication to duty and to our nation."

Blanchard joined the Marines in 2000 and served in Iraq in 2003, the Army said. After leaving the Marines, he completed an ROTC program and joined the Army in 2009 to become an Apache helicopter pilot. Among his many decorations are the Purple Heart, the Bronze Star, and the NATO Medal, the military said.

Blanchard leaves behind a wife, two children, parents, and two brothers, the Army said.

Hess, a Blackhawk pilot, was commissioned into the Army in 2010, the military said. His awards and decorations include the Purple Heart, the Bronze Star, the NATO Medal, and many more.

Hess is survived by his parents and brother.

  • New York State NewsNew York State NewsMore>>

  • Mark David Chapman

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    Friday, August 22 2014 4:10 PM EDT2014-08-22 20:10:09 GMT
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
  • Fitbit responds to data selling accusations

    Fitbit responds to data selling accusations

    Friday, August 22 2014 12:57 PM EDT2014-08-22 16:57:29 GMT
    The maker of a popular line of wearable fitness-tracking devices says it has never sold personal data to advertisers, contrary to concerns raised by U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer. San Francisco-based Fitbit said Friday that it has clarified its privacy policy to make it clear the company doesn't share information about its users. Schumer raised concerns about the company's privacy policy earlier this month and called for federal rules to allow consumers to protect their data.
    The maker of a popular line of wearable fitness-tracking devices says it has never sold personal data to advertisers, contrary to concerns raised by U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer. San Francisco-based Fitbit said Friday that it has clarified its privacy policy to make it clear the company doesn't share information about its users. Schumer raised concerns about the company's privacy policy earlier this month and called for federal rules to allow consumers to protect their data.
  • Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

    Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

    Friday, August 22 2014 8:00 AM EDT2014-08-22 12:00:26 GMT
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices