Private company to operate Rye Playland - FOX 10 News | fox10phoenix.com

Private company to operate Rye Playland

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

For the last couple of years, keeping Rye Playland rides like the Dragon Coaster open and maintained has cost taxpayers between $3 million and $5 million annually. But a deal signed Tuesday handed management of the Dragon and other rides over to a company that hoped to allow those taxpayer dollars to go to something else.

Aisha Siler's ridden the rides at Playland since she was a little girl.

"Because I just love bumper cars," she said. "It's a lot of fun."

But Siler and other visitors to Playland have watched more attractions disappear over the years than seen new ones pop up.

"I miss some of the rides they had there," grandfather George O'Connor said. "Because they broke, they took them away. The bumblebee? The turtle-chase?"

In the last decade, Rye Playland attendance declined by more than half. New management vowed on Tuesday to reverse that trend by keeping Playland open year-round and adding a waterpark, ball fields, and more with an injection of $34 million in private money.

"Sustainable Playland had the best vision for what a family park in the 21st century should look like," Westchester County Executive Robert Astorino said.

The deal calls for Sustainable Playland Inc. to give the county both a base fee and an annual payment to hopefully help it pay off its $32 million debt on Playland.

"To save the park, we needed to come up with a vision that would preserve the traditions but also lift the financial burdens to running the park off our taxpayers," Astorino said.

For Playland's guests and county leaders, the park represents not only a summer getaway or a losing investment with the temptation of redemption, but also an 85-year-old piece of history.

"I used to mooch tickets from the boats when the boats came here," O'Connor the grandfather recalled of his childhood. "I asked the people when they got back on the boat: Can I have your leftover tickets?"

  • New York State NewsNew York State NewsMore>>

  • Mark David Chapman

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    Friday, August 22 2014 4:10 PM EDT2014-08-22 20:10:09 GMT
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
  • Fitbit responds to data selling accusations

    Fitbit responds to data selling accusations

    Friday, August 22 2014 12:57 PM EDT2014-08-22 16:57:29 GMT
    The maker of a popular line of wearable fitness-tracking devices says it has never sold personal data to advertisers, contrary to concerns raised by U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer. San Francisco-based Fitbit said Friday that it has clarified its privacy policy to make it clear the company doesn't share information about its users. Schumer raised concerns about the company's privacy policy earlier this month and called for federal rules to allow consumers to protect their data.
    The maker of a popular line of wearable fitness-tracking devices says it has never sold personal data to advertisers, contrary to concerns raised by U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer. San Francisco-based Fitbit said Friday that it has clarified its privacy policy to make it clear the company doesn't share information about its users. Schumer raised concerns about the company's privacy policy earlier this month and called for federal rules to allow consumers to protect their data.
  • Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

    Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

    Friday, August 22 2014 8:00 AM EDT2014-08-22 12:00:26 GMT
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices