Elderly Detroit voter thought missing turns up safe with family - FOX 10 News | fox10phoenix.com

Elderly Detroit voter thought missing turns up safe with family

Posted: Updated:
Morris Stafford Morris Stafford

Tuesday, August 6, 88-year-old Morris Stafford wanted to go vote and decided to take a taxi.

"I was going to catch a cab, and I looked around, it was three or four cars waiting," he said.

Stafford selected the lady driver, and he had his reasons.

"I won't get any problem from her like I would the fellas," he said.

However, he believes trying to make a good decision ended badly.

"All I remember is I got over close the car, and next time I was getting up, and she had hit me with something," Stafford explained.

Banged up a little bit, he started walking and said he became lost. He landed another cab, and that driver took him to the 12th Precinct at Seven Mile and Woodward.

Stafford suffers from the beginning stages of dementia. Officers at the precinct helped get him in touch with his nephew.

"He came to the police station and picked me up," Stafford said.

Meanwhile, Stafford's stepdaughter was scared to death. She still had no idea of his whereabouts. He left from her house and never returned.

"I was terrified because I hear all the different things that happen to the senior citizens and not just them, just everyone in general out here, and I was just worried that anything could happen to him," said Vanessa Brown.

She called the cops, they came and took her missing persons report.

"We did a media release, and you guys showed it on the air last (Wednesday) night," said Detroit Police Sergeant Marcellus Ball.

We also aired the story Thursday morning that Morris Stafford was missing. Guess who was turned into Fox 2?

"I said, 'How could that be?' I said, 'I'm here.'" Stafford said. "I started laughing because I thought they were joking."

Ball showed up to verify Stafford's identity and that he was safe and sound.

"Unfortunately, he said he was robbed by somebody, but they didn't get anything," Ball said. "But he can't remember anything right now."

"He wants to be independent and do everything on his own, but it's to the point now he can't do everything on his own. Somebody has to be with him, but we just don't want to take all that independence away from him," Brown said.

The family said because of what happened things will change, and come November, he will not go to vote alone.

Family also said they had no idea there was any urgency to return Stafford to his stepdaughter or to contact her because they didn't know what had happened prior.

Powered by WorldNow

511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices