Released Murder Suspect Alarms Residents - FOX 10 News | fox10phoenix.com

Released Murder Suspect Alarms Residents

Posted: Updated:
CAPE MAY COUNTY, N.J. -

A man suspected of killing an elderly woman in Puerto rice was released from a Cape May county jail. Residents and police want to know how this could happen.

Word has spread quickly that an accused murderer is roaming Cape May County. Middle Township Police Chief tells us he's been fielding angry calls and emails and he feels the same frustration but legally he tells us there's nothing he can do.

Some Middle Township, NJ residents, who didn't want to be identified, say they've seen 25 year old Jonathan Rodriguez-Ocasio hanging out around town.

"I remember because he had tattoos. The tear drop..." the anonymous person said.

Neighbors say they had no idea the young man is wanted for the murder of an 84 year-old woman during an apparent burglary in Puerto Rico.

The Cape May County Prosecutor's office says it acted on a tip and arrested the fugitive on an active warrant, but in an odd set of circumstances police were forced to release him back into the community last week because they say Puerto Rican authorities are refusing to take him back.

Chief Christopher Leusner of the Middle Township Police Department said "I'm extremely frustrated...I think it's absolutely ridiculous that the authorities in PR will not come and extradite."

According to police, Rodriguez-Ocasio has apparently been spotted in a mobile home community off of route 9 and neighbors reported seeing him in the area of the Grande Center Strip Mall.

"I'm very scared, very scared because you know he could break into anybody's house," neighbor Janice Devine told us.

Chief Leusner tells us he has also been working with news reporters in Puerto Rico on the case to try to better understand all of this.

"They're saying in their news reports that the main witness refused to cooperate and if that's the case why wouldn't they dismiss the charges?" Leusner asked.

Chief Leusner said local law enforcement even offered to pay for the extradition, but still he tells us Puerto Rican authorities said no and now his hands are tied.

"I don't have any legal recourse to take him into custody right now under the law I cannot do that, "Leusner said.

Someone needs to take action. The last thing anybody wants is for someone to take matters into their own hands.

The police chief says if Puerto Rico authorities decide to drop the charges against Mr. Rodriguez-Ocasio then he'll drop the issue, but right now both the FBI and New Jersey state police are looking into how and why police in Puerto Rico aren't doing their part

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • All Bets Off As AC's Revel Hotel Casino Shuts Down

    All Bets Off As AC's Revel Hotel Casino Shuts Down

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 6:00 AM EDT2014-09-02 10:00:03 GMT

    Atlantic City's Revel Hotel and Casino is officially closing its doors this morning, a little more than two years after opening and following months of financial struggles.

    Atlantic City's Revel Hotel and Casino is officially closing its doors this morning, a little more than two years after opening and following months of financial struggles.


  • 1 Person Killed in Bethel Township Accident

    1 Person Killed in Bethel Township Accident

    Monday, September 1 2014 10:03 PM EDT2014-09-02 02:03:33 GMT
    1 person was killed in an accident in Bethel Township, Delaware County on Monday evening.Initial reports indicate that a vehicle may have hit a tree and overturned. It happened on the 3300 block of Foulk Road around 8:30pm.Foulk Road was closed for several hours while police investigated the crash scene.Stay with Fox 29 News for updates.
    1 person was killed in an accident in Bethel Township, Delaware County on Monday evening.Initial reports indicate that a vehicle may have hit a tree and overturned. It happened on the 3300 block of Foulk Road around 8:30pm.Foulk Road was closed for several hours while police investigated the crash scene.Stay with Fox 29 News for updates.
  • Council Rock South Mourns The Loss Of Three Classmates

    Council Rock South Mourns The Loss Of Three Classmates

    Monday, September 1 2014 5:23 PM EDT2014-09-01 21:23:09 GMT
    Three boys from Council Rock South High School died over the weekend when their SUV overturned.
    Three boys from Council Rock South High School died over the weekend when their SUV overturned.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices