Facebook effort underway in autistic teen search - FOX 10 News | fox10phoenix.com

Facebook effort underway in autistic teen search

Posted: Updated:
MYFOXNY.COM - A rally is planned to help spread the word about a missing autistic teen from Queens.

Avonte Oquendo, 14, walked out of his school in Long Island City two weeks ago and hasn't been seen since.

A Facebook page has been created to share information about search efforts.

School security video shows Oquendo moments before he disappeared at about 12:30 pm on Oct.4. His family has said a school security guard should have stopped him.

"We see nothing at this juncture that the conduct of the school safety agent was inappropriate," said NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly earlier this week.

The agent directs the boy to walk upstairs but he takes off through a side door, added Kelly.

"He should have followed by his job code. He failed," said Anthony Fontaine, Avonte's brother.

"What I thought as soon as I met Vanessa (Avonte's mother) was that this cannot happen absent either an inappropriate system or negligently drawn up system or negligence on the part of someone at the school," said family attorney David Perecman.

They have filed a notice of claim against the Center Boulevard School.

“His two IEPs (Individualized Education Programs) say the same thing: Avonte needs constant supervision and during transitions from class to class he runs off,” said Perecman.

"Every day we feel like today is the day. We're still trying to stay strong. At least 24 hours a day we have someone out here keeping an eye on our tent," said Danny Oquendo, Avonte's brother.

The family set up a makeshift command center outside the school.

Police have combed the area surrounding the Center Boulevard School including the Newtown Creek which separates Queens and Brooklyn.

A reward fund for information leading to Avonte's safe return has reached $70,000, including $50,000 from an anonymous donation to the advocacy group Autism Speaks.

The Rev. Al Sharpton is hosting a call to action Saturday from 9 am - 11 am at 106 West 145th Street.







  • Queens NewsQueens NewsMore>>

  • Almost all NYC pre-K centers ready

    Almost all NYC pre-K centers ready

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:48 PM EDT2014-08-22 23:48:37 GMT
    Nearly all 1,100 facilities providing services in the city's new universal pre-kindergarten program are ready to open on time after passing health and safety inspections. City officials said Friday they expect the eight remaining pre-K schools to remedy violations by Sept. 4's opening day. If they don't, affected children will be temporarily enrolled in other facilities.
    Nearly all 1,100 facilities providing services in the city's new universal pre-kindergarten program are ready to open on time after passing health and safety inspections. City officials said Friday they expect the eight remaining pre-K schools to remedy violations by Sept. 4's opening day. If they don't, affected children will be temporarily enrolled in other facilities.
  • U.S. Open preview

    U.S. Open preview

    Friday, August 22 2014 4:52 PM EDT2014-08-22 20:52:40 GMT
    Heading into the U.S. Open, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray have won 36 of the past 38 Grand Slam titles, a stretch dating to the 2005 French Open. Nowadays, there seems to be a growing sense — or hope, maybe — among the best of the rest on the men's tennis tour that the quartet might be more vulnerable than ever.
    Heading into the U.S. Open, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray have won 36 of the past 38 Grand Slam titles, a stretch dating to the 2005 French Open. Nowadays, there seems to be a growing sense — or hope, maybe — among the best of the rest on the men's tennis tour that the quartet might be more vulnerable than ever.
  • 1990 arson-murder rap tossed, Queens man is set free

    1990 arson-murder rap tossed, Queens man is set free

    A former New York businessman whose arson-murder conviction was overturned in the death of his daughter was freed from prison Friday after 24 years behind bars, following a judge's ruling that the case against him had been based on now-debunked arson science.
    A former New York businessman whose arson-murder conviction was overturned in the death of his daughter was freed from prison Friday after 24 years behind bars, following a judge's ruling that the case against him had been based on now-debunked arson science.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices