U.S. Olympian Ryan Hall drops out of New York City Marathon - FOX 10 News | fox10phoenix.com

U.S. Olympian Ryan Hall drops out of New York City Marathon

Posted: Updated:
The top three men finishers, Ryan Hall, left, second, Meb Keflezighi, center, first, and Abdi Abdirahman, third, pose after the U.S. Olympic Trials Marathon, Saturday, Jan. 14, 2012, in Houston. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip) The top three men finishers, Ryan Hall, left, second, Meb Keflezighi, center, first, and Abdi Abdirahman, third, pose after the U.S. Olympic Trials Marathon, Saturday, Jan. 14, 2012, in Houston. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

The injury-prone Ryan Hall, who holds the record for the fastest marathon run by an American, has withdrawn from the ING New York City Marathon, New York Road Runners announced.

The setback delays Hall's attempt at making a comeback. The 30-year-old from California has not finished a marathon since the U.S. Olympic Trials race in January 2012. He has been dogged by injuries, and cited a hip problem as keeping him from this year's 26.2-mile race in New York.

"In my zealous efforts to have redemption in this year's ING New York City Marathon, I overstepped the first and most important rule--making it to the line healthy," Hall said in a statement released by NYRR. "A long string of very aggressive training has aggravated my hip and it has not been able to fully calm down, such that I don't think racing on it is wise."

This is the latest in a string of elite races that Hall was scheduled to run but either did not finish or withdrew from prior to race day. In August 2012, he ran about 11 miles of the Olympic Marathon in London before dropping out with a hamstring injury. He was also supposed to run the Boston Marathon and Rock 'n' Roll San Jose Half-Marathon this year, but canceled.

Hall's Olympic teammate Meb Keflezighi, the 2009 NYC Marathon champion, is still slated to run the five-borough race on November 3.

Last year's marathon was canceled after Superstorm Sandy slammed the New York area.

"Redemption will have to wait," Hall said, "but it will be all the more sweet."

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Suspect dead following police chase

    Suspect dead following police chase

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 11:12 AM EDT2014-09-16 15:12:59 GMT

    At least one suspect is dead in a police-involved shooting in Rutherford, New Jersey.The shooting occurred at about 2:30 a.m. at Rutherford Ave. and Ridge Rd. following a chase. Investigators are piecing together what happened. One occupant of an SUV was shot and pronounced dead at a hospital. The other occupant was unharmed and was arrested. The preliminary investigation shows a state trooper and police officers from Lyndhurst and Rutherford were involved in the chase.

    At least one suspect is dead in a police-involved shooting in Rutherford, New Jersey.The shooting occurred at about 2:30 a.m. at Rutherford Ave. and Ridge Rd. following a chase. Investigators are piecing together what happened. One occupant of an SUV was shot and pronounced dead at a hospital. The other occupant was unharmed and was arrested. The preliminary investigation shows a state trooper and police officers from Lyndhurst and Rutherford were involved in the chase.

  • Trump Plaza closes; mogul Donald Trump may step in

    Trump Plaza closes; mogul Donald Trump may step in

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 10:41 AM EDT2014-09-16 14:41:06 GMT
    A fourth Atlantic City casino has gone out of business.  Trump Plaza shut its doors at 6 a.m. Tuesday.  The casino at the center of the Boardwalk and the end of the Atlantic City Expressway has been declining for years, performing worse than any of the city's other casinos.
    A fourth Atlantic City casino has gone out of business.  Trump Plaza shut its doors at 6 a.m. Tuesday.  The casino at the center of the Boardwalk and the end of the Atlantic City Expressway has been declining for years, performing worse than any of the city's other casinos. Real estate mogul Donald Trump took to Twitter on Tuesday to say he left Atlantic City years ago but may return.
  • Wedding reception at country club ends with brawl

    Wedding reception at country club ends with brawl

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:37 AM EDT2014-09-16 12:37:23 GMT
    New York State NewsNew York State News
    Police say they're investigating a large brawl that broke out at the end of a wedding reception held over the weekend at a suburban Buffalo country club. Officials tell local media that seven different police agencies were called in late Saturday to break up the fight at the Orchard Park Country Club. Officers say dozens of the approximately 200 guests were involved in the melee, which broke out after a member of the wedding party was tossed off the premises for inappropriate behavior.
    Police say they're investigating a large brawl that broke out at the end of a wedding reception held over the weekend at a suburban Buffalo country club. Officials tell local media that seven different police agencies were called in late Saturday to break up the fight at the Orchard Park Country Club. Officers say dozens of the approximately 200 guests were involved in the melee, which broke out after a member of the wedding party was tossed off the premises for inappropriate behavior.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices