Judge backs Metropolitan Museum of Art's suggested admission pol - FOX 10 News | fox10phoenix.com

Judge backs Metropolitan Museum of Art's suggested admission policy

Posted: Updated:
Metropolitan Museum of Art Metropolitan Museum of Art

DEEPTI HAJELA | AP

NEW YORK (AP) — A New York judge has dismissed claims by museum goers suing the Metropolitan Museum of Art that the Met doesn't have legal authority to charge admission fees but their lawsuits will go forward on allegations that the Met has been deceptive in how it asks for fees.

State Supreme Court Judge Shirley Werner Kornreich released the ruling Wednesday, which dismissed parts of two lawsuits.

In dismissing the allegation that the Met has violated its 1893 lease with the city, which required admission without fees, the judge said the city has approved the Met's admission fee decisions since the fees have gone into effect more than 40 years ago. She said the plaintiffs didn't have standing as private citizens to sue the museum on grounds of a lease violation.

"For those without means, or those who do not wish to express their gratitude financially, a de minimis contribution of a penny is accepted," the judge said. "Admission to the Met is de facto free for all."

She went on to say that forcing the museum to not charge anything and lose revenue "would put the museum's ability to provide the current level of access in jeopardy."

Museum officials said in a statement that they were "delighted" with the ruling and believe it validates the Met's "pay-what-you-wish admissions policy."

Arnold M. Weiss, an attorney for plaintiffs in both lawsuits, said they would appeal the judge's decision. But going forward on the claim that the museum has defrauded the public into thinking the fees are required, "on that portion of the case, we feel very good," he said.

The city Department of Cultural Affairs agreed in 1970 that the museum could charge a general admission as long as the amount was left up to visitors and museum signs reflected that the amounts were discretionary.

The suits say the museum signage states adult admission is $25 and has an addendum printed underneath that the amount is "recommended."

The museum last week said it has signed an amendment to its lease with the city that codifies the museum's authority to set admission fees and gives the Met the ability to consider price changes as needed.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Police: 5 suspects wanted in Central Park attack

    Police: 5 suspects wanted in Central Park attack

    Saturday, August 23 2014 12:27 PM EDT2014-08-23 16:27:52 GMT
    Police are looking for five suspects in a Central Park pellet attack they're investigating as a hate crime.
    Police are looking for five suspects in a Central Park pellet attack they're investigating as a hate crime.
  • Almost all NYC pre-K centers ready

    Almost all NYC pre-K centers ready

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:48 PM EDT2014-08-22 23:48:37 GMT
    Nearly all 1,100 facilities providing services in the city's new universal pre-kindergarten program are ready to open on time after passing health and safety inspections. City officials said Friday they expect the eight remaining pre-K schools to remedy violations by Sept. 4's opening day. If they don't, affected children will be temporarily enrolled in other facilities.
    Nearly all 1,100 facilities providing services in the city's new universal pre-kindergarten program are ready to open on time after passing health and safety inspections. City officials said Friday they expect the eight remaining pre-K schools to remedy violations by Sept. 4's opening day. If they don't, affected children will be temporarily enrolled in other facilities.
  • Mark David Chapman

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    Friday, August 22 2014 4:10 PM EDT2014-08-22 20:10:09 GMT
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices