Hundreds of passengers sickened on cruise ship - FOX 10 News | fox10phoenix.com

Hundreds of passengers sickened on cruise ship

Posted: Updated:
By FOX NEWS -

The Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas cruise ship set sail from Bayonne, NJ on Tuesday for the Caribbean, but now the trip has been cut short and the boat is headed back after hundreds of people on board became sick with gastrointestinal symptoms consistent with the highly contagious Norovirus.

The CDC said early Monday that 564 of the 3,050 passengers aboard the 15-deck ship reported getting sick during the cruise.

Connecticut passenger Arnee Dodd tweeted that she was among the ill, saying:  "They immediately quarantined every sick person & put a lockdown on food & are constantly cleaning everything.”

On Sunday, officials from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention boarded the ship in St. Thomas to investigate.

Vince Ignizio and his wife Camille live in Staten Island and are on board the ship right now. Neither of them were sick, but the Ignizio's are the parents of New York City Councilman Vincent Ignizio, who cruised on the Explorer of the seas with his wife just two months ago.

Councilman Vincent Ignizio who is from the Staten Island 51st council district says they're doing whatever they can to sanitize the ship. “But you still have 1000 people on board, it’s a dangerous situation” he said.

The outbreak is the second on a Royal Caribbean cruise in as many weeks.

Dozens of passengers on their majesty of the seas SHIP became sick with a stomach virus last week.

“It seems to be happening more and more, perhaps we need to increase the inspection period from two times a year” Ignezio said.

Of this latest incident on board the explorer of the seas, Royal Caribbean said in a statement:  "...we think the right thing to do is to bring our guests home early, and use the extra time to sanitize the ship even more thoroughly. We are sorry for disappointing our guests, and we are taking several steps to compensate them for their inconvenience."

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Savion Glover, the master teacher

    Savion Glover, the master teacher

    Thursday, August 21 2014 5:26 PM EDT2014-08-21 21:26:05 GMT
    While the rest of us merely march to the beat of our own drum, Savion Glover is the drum. The tap dance superstar has dazzled audiences from the small screen to the big screen from the White House to the Great White Way. More than just a legend, Savion has become a curator of tap. He is on a mission to keep the craft sacred for future generations.
    While the rest of us merely march to the beat of our own drum, Savion Glover is the drum. The tap dance superstar has dazzled audiences from the small screen to the big screen from the White House to the Great White Way. More than just a legend, Savion has become a curator of tap. He is on a mission to keep the craft sacred for future generations.
  • Man sucker punched in knockout attack

    Man sucker punched in knockout attack

    Thursday, August 21 2014 4:00 PM EDT2014-08-21 20:00:46 GMT
    The so-called 'knockout game' where a person punches another unsuspecting person has made its way to Hackensack, N.J. Police say an assailant attacked three people on the same day. Surveillance video shows the athletically built suspect punch a man in the face and stroll away. The man fell to the ground. Two other assaults took place within less than 15 minutes.
    The so-called 'knockout game' where a person punches another unsuspecting person has made its way to Hackensack, N.J. Police say an assailant attacked three people on the same day. Surveillance video shows the athletically built suspect punch a man in the face and stroll away. The man fell to the ground. Two other assaults took place within less than 15 minutes.
  • Clark police respond to 22 reports of burglary from autos this morning

    Clark police respond to 22 reports of burglary from autos this morning

    Thursday, August 21 2014 1:25 PM EDT2014-08-21 17:25:08 GMT
    The Clark Police Department has received 22 reports of burglaries of unlocked cars Thursday morning. Reports were received from residents of Hillcrest Drive, Thomas Drive, Grove Street, Orchard Terrace, Briarheath Lane and Stonehenge Terrace. There are no suspects at this time.
    The Clark Police Department has received 22 reports of burglaries of unlocked cars Thursday morning. Reports were received from residents of Hillcrest Drive, Thomas Drive, Grove Street, Orchard Terrace, Briarheath Lane and Stonehenge Terrace. There are no suspects at this time.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices